When I was a kid, I couldn't wait to be a grown-up. Now that I am one, with kids of my own, I see how I spent more time dreaming about the future than living in the present. What was I in such a hurry for? With age comes more responsibility. Some days, I would love to go back in time and just be a kid all over again, with nothing but school work, dancing lessons, and playtime to worry about. I like to think that it was simpler, but it really wasn't. The challenges that faced me then were not so much fun at a young age, and it is only through the eyes of experience that I can even compare childhood and adulthood drama.

For my daughter's 6th birthday, we threw a rock star party. Not quit a diva, she loves to pretend she is Hannah Montana. We set the basement playroom up with a stage (6 foot table with collapsible legs), backdrop (a big sheet) and some fun decorations dangling from the drop-down ceiling.
And I even made a CD with fun songs downloaded from
iTunes. Since I suspected parents would be forced to listen to the CD, appropriately titled
Party Like a Rockstar, I made sure to include songs I thought they'd enjoy, like
1985 by Bowling for Soup. I figured if they were like me, there was only so much Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers a grown up can stand before really needing to listen to something a bit less candy pop-like...
Springsteen, Madonna, way before Nirvana.
There was U2 and Blondie, and music still on MTV.
Her 2 kids in high school, they tell her that she's uncool.
'Cause she's still preoccupied with 1985.It's a great song. Makes me remember a different time in my life. For some reason, the lyrics are running through my head over and over today. Hopefully, they will wonder their way out before too long!
No comments:
Post a Comment